Dressing properly can make or break your days - whether it’s a day of sport or play, making sure you or your children are comfortable and confident can help set you up for success. So, let’s talk golf!
We’re obviously big fans of the game. It’s a fun pastime, an exciting competition (despite the common misconception of how slow it is), and don’t get me started about the technical, mental, and physical skills that come into play. It’s a great way for children to get exercise, learn sportsmanship, and gain confidence in themselves and others. To bring it even further - golf requires a mind-body connection like no other, allowing us to tune into a unique and intimate relationship with ourselves.
Golf is a sport that requires discipline, focus, and tons of patience. It is also a game that is steeped in tradition and etiquette. One aspect of golf that often gets overlooked, especially when it comes to children, is proper attire on the course. In this blog post, we'll discuss why it's important for children to wear proper golf attire when playing the game.
It's important to check the course's dress code before arriving so that your child can be dressed within those guidelines. While many courses have a dress code, we want to discuss proper attire outside of that - in a way that highlights comfort and confidence. Let’s jump in!
What does proper golf attire look like?
- A collared shirt: This shows respect for the game and the other players. For hot days, consider something like this white sleeveless golf top:
- Khakis, golf pants, skorts, and shorts: These should be made of a comfortable, breathable fabric that allows for a full range of motion. Tons of patterns and styles make this super easy to coordinate, no matter the color of top. For example, with a white polo, consider a pair of girls navy blue joggers for chillier mornings, or some navy blue boys shorts for an afternoon on the green.
- Golf shoes: These should have good traction and be comfortable to wear all day. We don't offer shoes, but here's a great kids' golf shoes buyers' guide by Golf Monthly for reference!
- A children's hat or visor: This will protect children from the sun and rain, and help keep hair out of your line of vision (alternatively, on cloudy days you could opt for a headband or sweatband to do the job). If your little one isn't a fan of these, try out some sport style sunglasses that allow for movement and a wide field of vision.
Wearing golf attire that fits correctly can help children enjoy the game of golf more, so long as the items are breathable and allow for a full range of movement. Proper golf attire sets the tone for the game. Golf is a sport that has a long and rich history, and dressing appropriately shows respect for the game and its traditions. When children wear the right clothes on the course, they're not only showing respect for the game, but they're also showing respect for the other players, and it can help children stay comfortable and focused throughout their rounds.
Here are some bonus tips for choosing the perfect golf outfits for your child:
Check your weather app. If it's hot, choose light, breathable fabrics. Sun in the forecast? Make sure you grab a pair of sunnies (if that’s comfortable for your child), or a hat/visor. Check out this warm-weather outfit for boys - it consists of a striped navy blue and green boys polo, boys light green golf shorts, and a tan sports belt.
If it's cold, choose layers that can be added or removed as needed. Here's a great example of a Turtles and Tees outfit when the weather gets chilly, made up of girls sage green joggers and a girls long sleeve navy polo.
Choose clothes that fit well. Clothes that are too tight or too loose can be uncomfortable and restrict movement. Golf attire is designed to be lightweight, breathable, and flexible, which is important when walking around the course and swinging a club. Wearing clothes that are too tight or too loose can be distracting and make it harder for children to play their best.
Make sure the clothes are durable. Golf can be a rough sport when it comes to weather, movement, and play, so you'll want clothes that can withstand a few scrapes, tears, and stains. Wearing proper golf attire can help protect children from the elements. Many golf courses are located in areas with hot and humid weather conditions, and wearing the right clothes can help keep children cool and protected from the sun, too! On the other hand, if the weather is colder or rainy, proper attire can help keep children warm and dry.
- Not required, but.... Choose clothes that are stylish! There are many stylish golf clothes available for children of all ages. As golf attire continues to evolve over time, there are so many styles, patterns, and colors you can choose from while still following your club's dress code.
All in all, proper golf attire can help children feel confident and ready to play their best. When children are dressed appropriately for the game, they're more likely to feel like they belong on the course and are part of the golfing community. This can help boost their self-esteem and make them more excited to play the game.
Dressing appropriately is an important aspect of the game that should not be overlooked, especially when it comes to children. By dressing well and with proper fit, children show respect for the game, stay comfortable and protected, and feel confident and ready to play their best. If you're planning on taking your child out on the course, make sure to check the dress code and dress them appropriately for a great day on the greens.
As always, we're always open to any questions or comments & thank you for the consistent support!